Friday, August 5, 2011

Christmas on Marlboro Avenue 1996

I didn't really bring that much with me when I moved to Hawaii but I did bring some of my favorite photos. This one is from Christmas 1996 (I'm pretty sure). It doesn't have everyone in it, but almost. I always liked that Uncle Raymond's high school photo can be seen on the wall just above Amy's head and of course Amu in the center with his hands up...I can almost hear him, "...weeell if it isn't the Toney family photo...".  I always loved Christmas in Brattleboro. There was always the anticipation of everyone showing up at our house (eventually), maybe a dabke, maybe Uncle Bob singing Frank Sinatra, but almost always the old home movies (on Super 8 reel-to-reel film!). Maybe Amu would drink too much and pass out, maybe Aunt Marie and Aunt Theresa would get into a fight (okay, that just happened once), maybe the kids would disappear up into their bedrooms, and in the early days even Tony John would show up (where is he now?). Sarah and I had it easy, everyone came to our house. For everyone else, the Beebe's, the Burgoyne's, the Murray's, and all the other Toney's, it was usually the final stop of the night. It kind of faded off in the early 2000's and by the time my parents moved to North Carolina there really wasn't a Christmas party on Marlboro Avenue any more. For the years that it did happen though it was a source of all kinds of great memories. What are your memories of these Christmas reunions?

No comments:

Post a Comment